Before calling someone a heretic for their beliefs, I would like to ask all believers here ten SIMPLE questions:
1. Are you Trinitarian, Unitarian, or Modalist?
2. Are you Calvanist or Arminian?
3. Are you Amillennialist, Preterist, Postmellenialist, or Dispensational Premillennialist?
4. Do you side with complementarian or egalitarian doctrine?
5. Do you believe in Annihilationism or Eternal torment?
6. Which is correct, Soul Sleep or instantaneous Presence?
7. Do you believe in Ontological or Economic Subordination?
8. Eternal generation or Incarnational Sonship
9. Pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib, or pre-wrath?
10. And finally, which style of hermeneutics do you follow? Literal, Moral, Allegorical, or Anagogical?
Now, having your answers, if anyone disagrees with any ONE of your ten doctrines, are they heretics? What about two? Would you allow three?
My guess would be that the majority of you have no clue what half these terms mean.
I know I sure didn't! (Before looking them up to write this post)
I've never been to seminary, never learned Koine Greek or Aramaic, but I read the Bible. And I study. And I know how to use a concordance and reference material.
None of us are going to agree on every doctrine, and just the EXISTENCE of some of the above terms only shows that it isn't quite at simple as some would like to make it out to be.
If things were that cut and dry, the greatest theological minds of the last 2000 years would have come to some kind of consensus by now.
It reminds me of a joke I once heard:
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, “Don’t do it!”
He said, “Nobody loves me.” I said, “God loves you. Do you believe in God?”
He said, “Yes.” I said, “Are you a Christian or a Jew?”
He said, “A Christian.” I said, “Me too! Protestant or Catholic?”
He said, “Protestant.” I said, “Me too! What denomination?”
He said, “Baptist.” I said, “Me too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?”
He said, “Northern Baptist.” I said, “Me too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?”
He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist.” I said, “Me too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?”
He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region.” I said, “Me too!”
“Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?”
He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?” I said, “Die heretic!” And I pushed him over.
It also brings to mind Luke 9:50
And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1